Welcome to GO SSLP!
The Georgia Organization of School-Based Speech Language Pathologists is the only organization in Georgia that focuses on issues related to speech-language pathology services in schools.
GO SSLP is dedicated to a number of issues specifically affecting the school-based speech language pathologists. These issues include caseload size, FTE funding, salary supplements, certification, and licensure. We also provide our members with continuing education and a regular newsletter.
IMPORTANT MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
On June 23, 2014 the GO SSLP Advisory Team agreed to change the GO SSLP membership year. Currently, the GO SSLP membership year runs from January 1st through December 31st. The new membership year will reflect a “school year” and run from August 1st to July 31st. We will keep you updated as these changes go into effect in your GO SSLP online member profile.
Please visit the GO SSLP Membership Page for additional renewal information and membership discounts!
BEST PRACTICES 2015: MARCH 5 & 6
Complete the conference evaluation by March 31st! Click here
New! Mini-Grant for School-based SLPs in Honor of Debbie Lozo
Date extended to September 1st, 2015
You have a great idea and we would like help you make it happen! The Georgia Organization of School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists (GO SSLP) is proud to announce the availability of the $500 Mini-Grant in honor of Debbie Lozo to 10 members. This mini-grant provides funds to school-based speech-language pathologists who are members of GO SSLP to develop and implement instructional projects that motivate and challenge students to improve their speech-language skills. Proposals should be unique projects that enliven and enrich the speech-language skills of students within the educational system. They may include interdisciplinary projects, active-learning lessons, technology utilization, and/or community-based instruction. You think it’s a great idea and we would love the opportunity to help you see it come true!
Debbie Lozo is one who helped to forge GO SSLP and make it what it is today. She is known not only for her generous contributions to GO SSLP but also known for her research, innovative ideas, and promotion of cutting edge practices within the school system. Based upon her leadership, her desire to promote our field, and her example of a school based SLP; we are pleased to award the Mini-Grant for School Based SLPs in Honor of Debbie Lozo.
Click here for more information and the application.
New! Graduate Scholarship!
Attention graduate Speech-Language Pathology students- you are working hard, let us help you out! The Georgia Organization of School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists (GO SSLP) is proud to announce the Graduate Student Scholarship. The $1500 award is given to the top 5 graduate students whose primary career goal is to provide services to children in the school system following graduation. Application period opens March 15th and closes May 15th. Recipients will be notified by July 15th.
To be eligible for the award, applicants must be entering their second or third year of graduate studies in an accredited Master’s program in Communication Sciences and Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology). Applicants must be in good standing with the university program and also display exceptional scholastic achievement, leadership skills, and professional involvement in research or service within the areas of school-based speech-language pathology. The honorarium is to be used toward educational/ clinical expenses (e.g. books, clinical materials or equipment, tuition, or related expenses). You are dreaming of being an SLP; let us help you achieve it!
Click here for more information and the application.
GO SSLP Proposed Bylaws
Click here for the proposed Bylaws of the Organization.
The next GO SSLP Chair will be Susan Kirkland and the Co-Chair will Patti Howard. Their new term will start in July of 2015.
Questions about FTE and the Best Practices Conference?
Many SLPs have had questions about whether SLPs can attend the conference due to the date being the FTE count day. We requested clarification from the Department of Education and received the following information:
- You can count students without actually serving them on the day of the count, as long as you meet the FTE criteria.
- Excerpt from the FTE Guidance Manual: Prior Ten Days: A student must have attended class for at least one of the prior ten school days before the FTE count
- Excerpt from the FTE Guidance Manual: Enrolled in an Instructional Class: A student must be enrolled in an instructional program to earn FTE funding for that segment. The student must be regularly scheduled to receive services on the count day. Funding should be based on the student's needs and the ability of the school to regularly schedule those services. Student schedules should not be rearranged for the purpose of earning FTE funding.
- FTE Guidance Manual - click here.
Questions about your annual evaluation and the Georgia Teacher Keyes?
Listed below is a link to the Georgia Teacher Keyes Handbook and if you click on this link, we have scanned the page dealing with evaluations for SLPs. SLPs are part of a group of "Contributing Professionals" who are not evaluated on the new instrument.
Link for complete handbook:
GO SSLP Encourages you to be a Participant in ASHA's Student Mentor Program!
Click here for more information
- Just a heads up for anyone with a GA SLP License.... "Under Georgia Law, all licensees who renew a license much submit secure and verifiable documentation with their renewal." You need to verify that your license status is "Active" NOT "Active-renewal pending". If your license is pending, then the board does not have a copy of your driver's license or passport and you will need to submit those documents to have your license cleared. Go to the website and search for your name: https://secure.sos.state.ga.us/myverification/Search.aspx If you need to submit documents – here is the link with the information on how to do this… http://sos.ga.gov/plb/Doc_Submission_Fax_cover_sheet.pdf
- New! GO SSLP provides ADDITIONAL MEMBER BENEFITS! GO SSLP is partnering with AFLAC to provide discounted benefits. Click here for more information. Click on this link for an informational video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwaCtLlVTdg
- Concerned about Medicaid Services in Schools? Click here for talking points. Consider writing about your concerns!
- As a benefit of membership in GO SSLP, this website is your resource for all the latest association news. What would you like to see posted? Click here to share your thoughts.
Find Us on Facebook!
Get all of the latest GO SSLP news straight to your newsfeed! Like us on Facebook to network with other SLPs and keep up with GO SSLP.